graphics research support (?)

Mr. Peter Budgell peter at stonehenge.ccs.uwo.ca
Sat Oct 27 00:38:11 AEST 1990

In article <9010260338.AA09411 at gollum.Physics.McGill.CA>
 loki at physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:
(edited)
>  A mathematics professor I know well has developed
>some really impressive approaches to describing curves, and, more
>generally, surfaces.  They are a truly original collection of descriptions
>which beat bsplines, cardinals and bezier curves hands down!  He is
>still working on them, optimizing them and examining other approaches
>and he could really use some support from an interested group or
>corporation.
>
>	Who does one turn to for support?  How does one form a
>partnership which permits the good professor to fund his research
>and maximize the benefit the rest of us?  Has anyone done anything
>similar?  Is there a mailing list for progressive graphics software
>companies who are into R&D?

All too real a problem.  Can't interest NSERC?  The prof would
need to expose the possibilities of the techniques
to some of the commercial software development companies
(without letting the secrets loose).  At least one
rendering software company is in this country (in Toronto); of course
most of the work is in the U.S.

It is hard to keep control of the inventions once they get loose.
How does one balance public funding with the need to get
funding from commercial concerns?

This sounds too much like a basic Canadian problem:
culturally, we are not marketing oriented people.

Any comments?

Peter

Design Automation and Manufacturing Research Laboratory
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario, Canada
peter at engrg.uwo.ca