Building GNU Emacs under Irix 3.3.1 (was: Re: swap space)

Scott Henry scotth at harlie.corp.sgi.com
Wed Oct 24 01:41:40 AEST 1990

In article <9010201727.AA15683 at UZI.MIT.EDU>, "0000-Admin at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU writes:
|> I'm trying to build GNU EMACS on a PI.  I have successfully built it before
|> on a 4D80, but here I've not been able to successfully do the final temacs
|> statement -- which the PROBLEMS file tells me is because I have insufficient
|> swap space.  This seems very possible to me, but I don't know how to increase
|> the amount of swap space I have to complete the compilation.
|> Any descriptions of how swap space works would be appreciated.

You don't say, but I think that you built emacs on the 4D80 under Irix rev 3.2 or earlier, and you are trying to build GNU Emacs 18.55 under Irix 3.3.1 on the PI. If this is the case, then increasing the swap space will only prolong the error: A change was made in the Irix libc.a (I believe to be more POSIX complient) that causes temacs to go into infinite recursion. The fix is extremely simple: add the line

#define HAVE_GETCWD

in your .../src/config.h file, and re-make. Things will then work fine.

--
 Scott Henry <scotth at sgi.com> / Traveller on Dragon Wings
 Information Services,       / Help! My disclaimer is missing!