man -t to lpr

Jim Sims sims at cam.nist.gov
Mon Oct 15 09:00:50 AEST 1990

Jim Helman writes:

>>   IF I had lp set up, man -t would give me very beautiful troff
>>   formatted man pages output to a postscript printer on the network.
>>
>>I don't believe it would be all THAT beautiful (unless lp(1) is
>>smarter than I think).  By the time the nroff source has been
>>formatted into /usr/catman/*/cat1/foo.z, it has lost all the nice
>>formatting information: bold has been converted to <character>
>><backspace> <character>.  more(1) is nice enough to display this
>>gibberish as highlighted text on most terminals or emulators.

I see your point, and thanks for educating me. I'm now using

	man topic | ul -t printer | lpr

for getting printed copies of on-line man pages. Scott Presnell
had suggested man topic | col -b | lpr but that removes the
underlining which ul with the -t printer option preserves
(at least to the postscript printer I'm using).

As Jim Helman has pointed out, the formatting that
        man topic | ul -t printer | lpr
produces is the best that one can get with preformatted man
pages. But I also have local unformatted additions to the
man pages, and all of the nroff/troff/psroff packages, so
man -t should give me very beautiful troff formatted man pages
output to a postscript printer on the network (It does on the
Suns!) SO my original question still stands: How do I send
the output of man -t to lpr?  :=) The answer to that question
may very well be an SGI implementation (I can wait) of something
like the Sun TCAT environment variable mentioned in my last
posting.

Again, thanks to everyone who has responded.

NAME:   James S. Sims                    TELE: (301) 975-2710
USMAIL: National Institute of Standards and Technology
(formerly National Bureau of Standards)  ARPA,BITNET: sims at enh.nist.gov