Using 'csh' in Makefiles

Peter Kerney peterk at foetus.syd.sgi.oz.au
Thu Oct 4 08:52:37 AEST 1990

Hi there everyone,

This probably should go to comp.unix but anyway.

Question: How do you use the C-shell in a Makefile
	'make' will pass this to the shell 1 (one) line at a time
	and it will therefore give an error.
	If you use the continuation on the end of the line, 'make'
	will pass the line to the shelll, but the foreach statement
	is all on one line and will therefore not work either.

Example:
------------------------------ Makefile ------------------------------
test:
        foreach i (1 2)
                echo "===== $i ====="
        end

We need to get the preceding Makefile working so as we can do more complex
things.

I have tried '\', '\n\' and all sorts of things on the end of the line
but no luck yet.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Taa, PeterK

--