Reading pixels from screen

Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854 blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV
Wed Oct 3 02:04:15 AEST 1990

   A while back I posted a request, and since no one from SGI responded,
and since I have recieved requests as to if I had gotten any information...
Here we go again.

   The 4Dgifts/imgtools utility scrsave has a call to gl_readscreen.
This routine aparently returns the RGB values of pixels on the screen
along a constant y line, regardless of mode (i.e. color map, RGB)
Why isn't this a "normal" graphics call.  For people trying create screen
dump utilities this is a key routine.  What library is this routine in?
Can we expect it to be documented in the future?  And DON'T tell me
to use scrsave (or icut/snapshot which call scrsave), this is NOT an
answere.  This is mainly aimed at SGI people. Can any of them answere
this?  I am not the only one interested in this.
--

					Brent