official sgi system files and backups

karron at mcirps2.med.nyu.EDU karron at mcirps2.med.nyu.EDU
Thu Oct 18 08:37:09 AEST 1990

Is there a way I can use the inst database to define sgi system files ?

I have a script that looks for dead files ( files that have not been read
for > 6 months ). My simple minded approach is to exclude (with a fgrep -v -f
exclude.list) files and directories that appear in system directories.

I also have a script that goes thought my file systems looking for monsters.
A monster file is defined as a non system file that is larger than 3000
blocks. Currently I exclude from consideration files in "system" directories.

I have found that if a program misses a pipe, like /dev/tty?? and write
to '/dev/tty??', I will have an undetected file, named '/dev/tty??' that will
never get picked up as hogging disk blocks. Also, lost files in root, or
left in odd locations in the sgi distribution also will never get found.

My goal is to be able to completely sweep the mounted file systems for
dead files and monster files, but exclude from consideration sgi system
files (which can be large and old, but still needed).

Any thoughts about this ? This might be something sgi might want to include
in its distribution once I get it working nicely.

dan

| karron at nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| Please Note :Soon to move to dan at karron.med.nyu.edu 128.122.135.3  (Mid Oct)|