timed/ntpd

Scott R. Presnell srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Sun Oct 14 00:52:51 AEST 1990

vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:

>In article <9010102100.AA02185 at frodo.Physics.McGill.CA>, loki at physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:
>>
>> 	Can anyone comment on whether IRIX 3.3 supports date/time
>> via ntp either with the existing timed or with some appropriately
>> hacked version of ntpd?  I understand that the new IRIX 3.3 has
>> improved timing but I would still like to tie the PIs in with
>> our SUNs which use NTP.

>I think NTP is a good protocol.  Someday, it may be in the standard release.

>Until then, if I were in your situation, I would use timeslave to connect
>one of my IRIS's to a NTP ticker at a fairly good stratum, and the use
>timed and a netgroup synchronize the rest.  You could use more than one
>IRIS-NTP pair for redundancy.

This seems like good advice.

We have ntpd running here on 4D's under 3.3.1 without problems (so far).
Nptd is not configured to correctly read the IRIX kernel, so you can't
adjust the timetrim varaible on the fly, but that's not necessary for the
operation of the daemon.  We were running timeslave previously.

I got the source locally.  I think a copy resides on louie.udel.edu in
~ftp/pub/ntp.  Alternatively you might post to comp.protocols.time.ntp...

	Good luck.

	- Scott

--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp at cgl.ucsf.edu
University of California			UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp
San Francisco, CA. 94143-0446			Bitnet: srp at ucsfcgl.bitnet