Transfer files between PC and IRIS?

Michael Portuesi portuesi at tweezers.esd.sgi.com
Tue Apr 9 02:30:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr5.222307.5567 at eng.umd.edu>, Naiming Shen writes:
> I am ordering a cable(null modem) to link my PC and IRIS. Can someone
> tell me which communication software on IRIS is best to use to trasfer
> files between those two machines. I have PCPlus on PC.

I own a Toshiba laptop to use for light-duty computing tasks when
I'm away from my 4D/20.  I find the most trouble-free file transfer
solution is Kermit for MS-DOS communicating with the Kermit
program we supply in 4Dgifts.  Kermit for MS-DOS provides a very
capable terminal emulator as well as file transfer.  It isn't as fast
as Zmodem or other protocols, but at 9600 baud I find that I can
transfer most things quickly enough.  I just start up Kermit and
let the download proceed while I am doing my other tasks.  Kermit
is very reliable, and best of all it's free.

The latest version of Kermit for MS-DOS is 3.10.  It can be found
via anonymous FTP from:

	wsmr-simtel20.army.mil 	as the files:
	PD1:<MSDOS.KERMIT>msker310.zip
	PD1:<MSDOS.KERMIT>msr310.pch
	PD1:<MSDOS.KERMIT>mskr-em2.zip

These same files may be found on wuarchive.wustl.edu in the
directory /mirrors/msdos/kermit.

m.
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi at sgi.com

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a
 mother and child." -- Vice President Dan Quayle