FTP problem/ethernet query

Bill Silvert silvert at cs.dal.ca
Thu Apr 18 08:54:45 AEST 1991

I just got my PI to talk to a PC over ethernet -- just the two machines,
since administrative matters have stalled the institution-wide ethernet
backbone about 50 m away from my office.  Two queries....

>From the PC I can do an anonymous ftp to the PI.  But if I ftp as a
regular user, I log in OK, but as soon as I execute a command the PI
tells me to reenter my USER/PASSWORD info, and I can't do anything.
This isn't a major problem, I just telnet to the PI and ftp back to the
PC, but if anyone knows an easy fix it would be appreciated.  By the
way, there is no /etc/ftpusers file on the PI, so that isn't the problem.

As for the ethernet connection, I'm using a transceiver and running
thinwire to the PC, but the WD card has a thickwire connector as well.
Can I just run thickwire to thickwire without a transceiver?  If so, how
do I mate the two female connectors?  A straight-through gender-bender,
or is some sort of null modem needed?
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
BITNET=silvert%biome%dalcs at dalac	InterNet=silvert%biome at cs.dal.ca