swap space

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Wed Apr 17 13:19:17 AEST 1991

In <9104161701.AA06206 at ccfiris.aedc> mcdonald at AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL writes:

| I am posting this for an associate:
|
| He has a 4D25 PI, and he needs to reconfigure the amount of swap space it has
| available in order to run some image processing software.  He told me that
| his manual said it need 150 Megabytes of swap space.
|
| What are the steps in reconfiguring the amount of swap space available on a PI?

Completely back up the system (you could get buy with just /usr, but that
is risky).  VERIFY that your backups are valid!

Halt the system, and boot the standalone fx via 'boot dksc(0,1)stand/fx --x'
Press return for the first 3 prompts, then type "label/set/part".
Change the size of the swap partition (partition 1), and then change
partition 6 to match (i.e., increase the start of partition 6 and decrease
the size).  Then type "../sho/part" to make sure it is correct.  If so, type
"../sync", then "/exit".  You are now back at the PROM monitor.

If done correctly, partition 0 (the root partition) is still valid, so type:
"boot dksc(0,1)unix initstate=s". Once you are up in single user mode,
do "mkfs /dev/dsk/dks0d1s6" to create a new (much smaller!) /usr
filesystem, mount it, and then restore the files.  Hopefully they will all
still fit.

If you have no files at all on the system, and haven't configured it,
you could just completely reinstall the system instead of backing up
and restoring /usr, but most people have already got the system running
when they find they need more swap space.
--

	Dave Olson