Pandora and visual login icons

David Hinds dhinds at elaine18.Stanford.EDU
Fri Apr 26 02:21:36 AEST 1991

In article <3964 at uc.msc.umn.edu> wes at msc.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr24.182219.14666 at mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>,
>andru at electron.lcs.mit.edu (Andrew Myers) writes:
>>
>> If the icons are too slow, you can get rid of them by setting the
>> "noiconlogin" option with chkconfig. See the pandora and noiconlogin
>> man pages.
>>
>> Andrew
>
>No No No No.  You missed the point.  I WANT the icons/images to appear.
>I just don't want all 150 of them to appear -- junk those that I specify.
>I need this to be done in such a way that all 150 home directories are
>not searched by pandora.

    Well, edit the /etc/passwd.sgi file.  If you want only some users
to show up in the pandora window, just add a line to this file saying
"someone:noshow".  If you want icons for everyone, but faces for only
some people, you could put "someone:machineicon" for the people who don't
have faces (faceless people?).  That isn't what the machine icon is
for, but I think this would work.  I guess it would be nice if there
was a "usericon" option here to force the default user icon.  Also, I
couldn't actually find the machine icon anywhere, so I think it may
be hard wired into pandora.  It would be nice if Pandora searched the
/usr/lib/faces directory before the home directories.

 -David Hinds
  dhinds at cb-iris.stanford.edu