Using symbolic links to simulate direct mounts

Tony Facca fsfacca at ZOSO.LERC.NASA.GOV
Thu Apr 18 01:16:04 AEST 1991

I would like to use an indirect automount to access release notes which I
have moved to a file server.

The indirect mount point is called /r/relnotes and it is mapped to
fileserver:/data/adm/sgi/3.3.2/relnotes

If I use the mount command as follows:

	/etc/mount -o soft,rw fileserver:/data/.../relnotes /usr/relnotes

and issue the "relnotes" command, all is well.

What I want to do is create a symlink between /r/relnotes and /usr/relnotes.
When I do that, and issue the "relnotes" command, the automounter fails to
mount the /usr/relnotes directory properly and the command returns:

	Sorry, but no products have release notes installed

If I cd into /usr/relnotes directory, the mount occurs.  But "relnotes" still
says, "Sorry,.."

Does this mean that something is not linked properly.  We've had success using
symlinks to simulate direct mounts for other applications.  Does anyone have
any idea what might be going on?  I tried links from /tmp_mnt/r/relnotes and
that didn't work either.  The /etc/auto.indirect file has these relevant lines
in them:

adm             -rw,soft        louvre:/data/adm
relnotes        -rw,soft        louvre:/data/adm/sgi/irix_3.3.2/relnotes

Is this allowable syntax?  Or am I confusing the automount program by having
a subdirectory after the first /data/adm?