Adding memory to an IP4

Jean-Francois Panisset panisset at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Tue Apr 2 23:21:46 AEST 1991

I have what I have been told is a 4D/50 with an IP4 motherboard: somebody has
mentionned that this might be an upgrade... The point is that this motherboard
has only 8Mb on it, made up of 8 1Mx9 100ns SIMMs. There are 8 other slots
for SIMMs: are these standard IBM-PC-type SIMMs? Can I just buy 8 of those
at my local PC-clone shop and pop them in? Any switches or jumpers I need
to set? What about 4Mb SIMMs (or is this motherboard too old for this?).
If all else fails, is it possible to upgrade to one of the newer motherboards
(such as a 33MHz IP7...).

Thanks in advance for any information: I have consistantly found comp.sys.sgi
to be one of the most useful and informative groups on the net...

JF

--
Jean-Francois Panisset
INET: panisset at mcrcim.mcgill.ca