Mysterious notifier editable region -- identifying terminal

Bill Silvert silvert at cs.dal.ca
Fri Apr 19 00:27:13 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr18.130802.7221 at eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> eddc at opus.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave Carek) writes:

>Do a man on launch to get more info.  BTW there's alot of other cool
>utilities in /usr/sbin you might want to check out.

There is some great stuff there, and I started to use launch and confirm
in shell scripts, until I realized that they wouldn't run if I logged in
from a dumb terminal.  Is there an easy way to determine whether the
terminal supports these various goodies other than a hack like a string
of case $TERM in ... followed by a list of acceptable terminal aliases?
If so, I could easily put together something like launch that invokes
/usr/sbin/launch only if it will run, otherwise giving me a dumb menu.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
BITNET=silvert%biome%dalcs at dalac	InterNet=silvert%biome at cs.dal.ca