SGI UPGRADES/MAINTENANCE MONOPOLY

Alan Butcher ab at canaan.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu
Tue Apr 9 01:27:25 AEST 1991

I received a letter from Silicon Graphics today indicating the use
of third-party drives or third party installation of SGI components
in my SGI system (4D/210S) would void the maintenance agreement.

I was planning to install a POWER Channel I/O processor, quad trays
and SCSI disks in the 4D/210s while moving the existing SMD drives
to a separate cab.

What are your experiences with SGI in regards to 3rd party upgrades??

DO YOU KNOW OF ANY THIRD PARTY SGI MAINTENANCE VENDORS?? I DO NOT LIKE
TO BE HELD HOSTAGE BY SGI FOR UPGRADES.

---
Alan Butcher, ab at cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu
Concurrent Engineering Research Center, West Virginia University
Drawer 2000, Morgantown, WV 26506 (304) 293-7226

Alan Butcher, ab at cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu