TEK 4695 color graphics copier

Jack P. Weldon jweldon at sgi.com
Sat Apr 13 03:55:31 AEST 1991

In article <9104111925.aa26738 at VMB.BRL.MIL> levine%351m.decnet at SCFB.NWC.NAVY.MIL ("351M::LEVINE") writes:

>	I have been handed the problem of attaching a Tektronix
>4695 Color Graphics Copier to an IRIS (either 4D/240 or PI). All it came
>with is a cable haveing 36 pin Amphenol connectors on either end.
>What do I need to interface to the copier to the SGI (both hardware and
>software).

Sounds like the cable has 36-pin Centronics connectors on both ends, which
would be used on a system that has Centronics outputs.  This cable is
what you would use if you purchased the parallel port option for your 4D-240
(called an IKON parallel board).  On the PI, however, the parallel port
is standard, but you need a PC-style parallel cable, with 25-pin rs232/EIA
style connector on the PI side, and 36pin Centronics on the printer side.

These PI cables can be purchased at any good PC store. Try to keep
it < 8' and preferably double or triple shielded. Inmac is a good
source (800-547-5444) for mail order. Order the 741-0 (8' shielded), the
740-0 (8' double-shielded), or the 785-2 (12' triple-shielded right-angle).

I'm not familiar with the 4695 printer. Is that an Ink Jet printer or a
Thermal Wax printer, and does it emulate the 4693 printers, or is it
a PostScript?  My 1990 and 1991 Tek catalogs only mention the 4693 series,
the 4696 Ink Jet, and the Phaser series.

--
Cheers,

Jack P. Weldon
(jweldon at csd.sgi.com)