Korn shell

Kevin Dalley kevin at IGOR.TAMRI.COM
Thu Apr 11 03:20:42 AEST 1991

> Just a short plea to the folks at SGI:
> Please consider including ksh as one of the standard shells.
> I know the AT&T license may cost a few bucks, but it's money well spent.

You should try bash, the Bourne Again SHell.  cwru has a copy of
their version available by anonymous ftp from slc2.INS.CWRU.Edu in
/pub/bash/bash-1.07.cwru.tar.Z, with other bash information
information available.  cwru's version compiles nicely on the IRIX.
An extraction from the man page:

          Bash is a sh-compatible command language interpreter that
          executes commands read from the standard input or from a
          file.  Bash incorporates useful features of the Korn shell
          (ksh) and the C shell (csh) as well.

It has most of the ksh features that I liked, including the ability to
write large shell programs that run *really* slow.  Of course, it's
also free.  Try it.

Kevin Dalley
kevin at tamri.com