SGI UPGRADES/MAINTENANCE MONOPOLY

Thant Tessman thant at horus.esd.sgi.com
Wed Apr 10 02:25:37 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr8.154643.29535 at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, 1k1mgm at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) writes:

[...]

> It seems so clear to me that 'hostage' policies like you've posted
> gain companies a few disk sales and lose many more system sales;
> I wonder why they do this, particularly if it's basically an idle threat?

I don't work in support, and I don't speak for SGI, but I'm pretty
sure that the refusal to support 3rd party equipment isn't an attempt
to gain a few disk sales.

Silicon Graphics can't be expected to be experts on all third party
hardware, and SG has no influence on its quality, how it is installed,
or how it interacts with SG equipment.  Refusing to support third
party hardware is the only way SG can guarantee good service and
good quality.

thant at sgi.com

The State, that is the coldest of all cold monsters.   Coldly,
also, it lies, and the lie that creeps from its mouth is this:
"I, the State, am the People."                     - Nietzsche