disturbing error message

Stephen Scherr sscherr at cs.wright.edu
Tue Apr 16 03:58:59 AEST 1991

concerning the 'core file access error', SGI told me it was some weird
interaction with the X-server, and that I should ignore it.
I discovered due to a fortuitous error message that making sure that
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/*/fonts.dir existed and contained a '0' for
directories with no fonts in them, cured the problem.

The core file was sitting in /tmp, and if user A was the first to log in
after /tmp was cleared, and then user B logged in, B couldn't write his
core on top of the file owned by A.

Steve Scherr