#! /usr/sbin/smake

Sam Fulcomer sgf at cfm.brown.edu
Fri Apr 26 23:00:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr25.153348.26431 at fido.wpd.sgi.com> jwag at moose.asd.sgi.com (Chris Wagner) writes:
>In article <9104250146.AA25593 at karron.med.nyu.edu>, Dan
>>
>> In this way, my makefiles can know that they are to be processed
>> by , say pmake or smake instead of the default make.
>
>This was put into 3.3 - at firsxt to help us here at SGI start
>to migrate to smake/ parallel make - this way as makefiles
>are modified to run in parallel (many just plain work) we can
>add #!smake

We've been running gnu-make here for a couple of years now. I've not
done more than look at the man page for pmake, but it seems that the
pmake extensions were modelled after gmake (parallel compiles/jobs
and conditional contructs being the most important to us...).

Since the conditional construct syntax is different, and since we
run gmake everywhere, we don't use pmake.

("parallel" execution really speeds things up on single-proc machines, too.)

--
Sam Fulcomer	sgf at cfm.brown.edu		What, me panic: uba crazy

Associate Director for Computing Facilities and Scientific Visualization
Brown University Center for Fluid Mechanics, Turbulence and Computation