SGI GL matrix performance

Mike York zombie at voodoo.UUCP
Sun Apr 28 11:02:20 AEST 1991

In article <15407 at helios.TAMU.EDU> jamie at archone.tamu.edu (James Price) writes:
>Has anyone done any benchmarking of the SGI matrix functions?  I was curious
>and wrote the program included below.  It does a number of 4x4 matrix
>multiplies, first using software, and then using the geometry pipeline
>functions (loadmatrix(), multmatrix(), getmatrix()).
>
>Here are some typical results:
>
>10000 iterations on fritz, with GL version: GL4DGT-3.3
                                                 ^^
                                                 Aha, a GT!

Our application used to run on 4D/60T's.  We had one 4D/70GT.  We found out
that anything that required the graphics pipeline to regurgitate information
(picking, getmatrix, feedback goodies, etc.), was very slow with the GT
architecture (picking was up to 6 time slower with our application).  We got
rid of all our 60's and now have a bunch of 4D/25TG's.  I would venture a
guess that if you ran your program on a non-GT machine, you'd see better
results.
--
    Mike York                     |
    Boeing Computer Services      |  Support your local nanobrewer --