Mail Problem

Amy Swanson amys at TheImprov.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 27 03:26:36 AEST 1991

marc at EDDIE.EE.VT.EDU (Marc Friedman) writes:

<stuff about Elm deleted>
>.... Now whenever
>mail is sent to this machine (hostname: rainbow), I get the
>following returned mail:

>From: MAILER-DAEMON at rainbow.mitre.org (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
>Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable
>To: <marc at eddie.ee.vt.edu>

>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
><<< 553 rainbow I refuse to talk to myself
>554 <marc at rainbow.mitre.org>... Service unavailable

>   ----- Unsent message follows -----
>*** Stuff deleted ***

I've been getting the same problem on systems that I've started running
DNS on.  Typically our systems run both YP/NIS and DNS, but on systems
without the YP/NIS (NFS) option and running just DNS, a few days after
setting up DNS, the mailer stops delivering mail to that system - same
exact error.  When I remove DNS (wipe out the /usr/etc/resolv.conf file)
and restart mail, everything's fine.  So, I don't have an answer, but I'd
like to see if someone knows what's going on.

(just for information, the systems running DNS are looking to a Sun as the
 "master" nameserver - I just create the /usr/etc/resolv.conf file and DNS
 works!)

Amy

========
Amy K. Swanson
SGI Systems Administrator
NCSA - National Center for Supercomputing Applications
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign

amys at ncsa.uiuc.edu