swapinterval & tmesh

Marc Andreessen andreess at mrlaxa.mrl.uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 28 19:07:20 AEST 1991

In article <15121 at darkstar.ucsc.edu> mmcohen at fuzzy (Dr. Michael M. Cohen) writes:
>How much speedup in drawing time can I expect by using triangular
>mesh approach? (system is 4D/310-VGX-FX 3.3.2 16Mb)

Quite a bit.  I haven't used the vgx, but on PI's and GTX's tmeshes
give dramatically better performance (since after the first triangle
you're only passing one new vertex per triangle through the pipeline).

>I am computing the vertex normals myself. Can the graphics hardware
>do this for me?

Nope.  (Or does the VGX do something new?  And if so - or if it could -
would it be faster than a fast software algorithm?)

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___________University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
Internet: andreessen at uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu____________Bitnet: andreessen at uiucmrl