Workspace Real Estate ...

DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Apr 13 06:28:34 AEST 1991

I have a directory that I make symbolic links to the blizzard of files
that is required to run my mri stack reconstructor etc. etc.

I have scripts that make the required linkage, and the user runs them as
icons from the main workspace window. Now, to clear a a reconstruction from
my system means to break the links to the individual slice image files.

My users like to watch the files pop into the staging directory and pop out
as the links are constructed and broken. After a few cycles, the directory
view for that directory becomes vast unbroken regions of empty space, and
I have to move all the icons up to the top of the window by hand, or
erase the dirview, and start all over.

Is there any way to tell dirview not to save the spot of a deleted file ?
Is there a way to reserve regions for different file types ? I would like
to have one class of files in one row, another class in another row,
a special spot for flag files, and so on. This way workspace can become a
way to see the state of the system from the location and state of various
file system flags or semiphores.

What do you say, workspace workers!?

dan.
| karron at nyu.edu (e-mail alias )         Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| Phone: 212 263 5210 Fax: 212 263 7190  New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue                       Digital Pager <1> (212) 397 9330    |
| New York, New York 10016               <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |