Big-Little Endian

DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Apr 10 17:08:33 AEST 1991

The R2000 processors used in the IRIS-4D series workstations are configured

BIG-ENDIAN.

This means that sign bit at the lowest address byte.

Big-Endian machines number the bytes of a word (size of an int) from
0 to 3. Byte 0 holds the sign and the most significant bits.

For halfwords(size of a short) the bytes are numbered 0 to 1. Byte
0 holds the sign and MSB.

I am quoting the Assembly Language Programmer's Guide, Page 1-1, version 1.

I also wrote some code to import/export IEEE and Big Endian numbers to
VAX Little Endian numbers, so if you need to know this, you probably can use my
code.

Now for the real important question:

Where did the term Big-Little Endian come from ? What is the folklore
behind this jargon ?

Must be heap-bit-tail to tell!

How!
| karron at nyu.edu (e-mail alias )         Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| Phone: 212 263 5210 Fax: 212 263 7190  New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue                       Digital Pager <1> (212) 397 9330    |
| New York, New York 10016               <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |