Can I force a swap?

Gregory J. Atchity atchity at tc3.chem.iastate.edu
Wed Apr 24 03:33:37 AEST 1991

   Is there any way to force a job on 4D machine (running 3.3.1) to be swapped
out of memory?

   It seems that my STOPped jobs still retain their memory, at the expense of
other programs that need it.  I'd like to run some memory hogs on PI's during
the day if the console is not in use, and then STOP them when someone logs on
the console.  But kill -STOP doesn't do what I want.

   I've noticed the same thing on DecStation 5000's.  Is this inherent in unix?

Greg Atchity                              Iowa State University
atchity at tc2.chem.IaState.edU              Ames Laboratory - USDOE
atchity%qchem1 at alISUvax.bitnet            310 Wilhelm Hall
(515) 294-2582                            Ames, IA 50011