NFS installation problem (or finger trouble)

Adrian F Clark alien at essex.ac.uk
Tue Apr 9 00:04:34 AEST 1991

I've recently acquired the first Iris on our site, and am trying to
NFS-mount discs off various other Unix (Sun) machines.  But I can't
get NFS to run properly.  After installing the software, I edited
/etc/fstab as on SunOS, then (following the instructions in the
manual) typed

   # /usr/etc/nfsd 4
   # /usr/etc/biod 4
   # /usr/etc/exportfs
   nothing exported
   # mount -av
   mount: vulcan:/picdisc/pix on /IP-archive: Invalid argument
   mount: giving up on:
      /IP-archive

i.e. basically trying the same procedure as under SunOS.

I then tried re-booting the machine, but it doesn't bring up the NFS
daemons, even though the appropriate toggle is set.  However, I've
noticed that /etc/havenfs returns a value of 255 in $status.

Has the installation gone haywire, or is it some kind of finger
trouble on my part?

--
 Dr Adrian F. Clark                                   JANET: alien at uk.ac.essex
 INTERNET: alien%uk.ac.essex at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk          FAX: (+44) 206-872900