disturbing error message

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Fri Apr 19 04:04:54 AEST 1991

In article <9104122033.AA00383 at nazgul.physics.mcgill.ca>, loki at NAZGUL.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:
|> 	I am getting the following in the /usr/adm/SYSLOG file.  It is
|> a relatively new occurence.  The machines involved are 4D/25s running
|> variously 3.3.1/3.3.2.
|>
|> Apr 12 14:38:20 <hostname> grcond[357]: CIO: core file access error
|>
|> I know someone mentioned that one could safely ignore grcond messages
|> but..... I would like reassurance and possibly an explanation.

This message is *not* from grcond.  grcond is the name of the process that
logged the message with syslog.  grcond is monitoring /dev/console.  CIO
means that this is a message that was written to /dev/console and grcond
logged it in SYSLOG.

The writer of the message did not identify itself.  I suspect its the kernel
and it's an indication that it tried to write a core file and couldn't
because the directory was write protected.

--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"Spirits of genius are always opposed by mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein