Modification of keyboard code sequences

David S. Browning browning at nas.nasa.gov
Fri Apr 12 14:33:31 AEST 1991

I want to be able to modify the code sequences generated by the
IRIS-4D series keyboard.  I have a 4D/60 running IRIX 3.3.1, using the
4Sight NeWS server (i.e. not X windows).

My manual is a little old, Version 3.0.  In the 4Sight Programmer's
Guide, Section 1: Using the GL/DGL Interfaces, Appendix A.2, Table A-3
lists the code sequences generated for all the keys when combined with
shift, ctrl and alt.  I want to disable the ANSI CSI ("ESC [") escape
sequences.

I've used Mark Segal's "altIntoMeta" routine to make the alt key
behave as a meta key for GNU Emacs, and Eric Pettersen's "replacekeys"
routine to swap the Backspace and Delete keys.  If, instead of typing
alt-'Delete' (emacs "backward-kill-word") I mistakenly type alt-'='
(which is nearby), emacs receives the sequence "ESC [ 0 7 0 q", which
moves the cursor and inserts unwanted characters.  Depending on the
type of file being edited, the cursor can move far away, and it's easy
to lose track of where you were before.  This is very annoying.

It isn't important to know emacs to help me with this, it is only an
example of why I need help.  I want to disable those escape sequences
or reprogram them into something benign.  Has anybody done this, or
can anyone tell me how?  Or where in TFM to R?

I'll post the solution if I get one and there's interest.

Thanks,
David.

| Internet:  browning at nas.nasa.gov                  Phone:  (415) 604-4321   |
| UUCP:  {hplabs, mailrus, ucbvax, etc.}!ames!amelia!browning                |
|"the nice thing about true hopelessness is that you don't have to try again"|
| -- jules shear                                                             |