Problems with VI etc (reposting).

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com
Thu Apr 11 10:21:58 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr9.162756.11321 at vaxa.strath.ac.uk>, cbas25 at vaxa.strath.ac.uk writes:
> Funny thing number 3:-  On my other machine, which is not connected
> to the network, I periodically see the message:-
>                      ec0: Transmit: No carrier
> in the console window.  It occurs once every 5 minutes I would guess.

The system is telling you that when it tries to transmit on the ethernet,
it cannot, because there is "no carrier".  The most common cause is an
unplugged ethernet cable.

You can make the error message go away by turning off everything to do with
the network.  `chkconfig network off` should be effective.

You may still need network stuff, so that you don't want to turn it all
off.  For example, you may be running SLIP to a home machine.  The cleanest
solution there is to build an "ethernet terminator."  Get a male DB-15
connector and two jumper wires, connect pin 3 to 5 and pin 10 to 12, and
plug in the resulting extremely short ethernet into your machine.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs at sgi.com

(Yes, ethernet is baseband.  The error msg reflects common usage as well as
the standard description of what the other pairs do while the TX pair is
active)