Upgrading 25G to 35G

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Thu Apr 18 05:38:14 AEST 1991

In <72413 at brunix.UUCP> sgf at cfm.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) writes:

| In article <1991Apr16.235626.11319 at odin.corp.sgi.com> olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) writes:
| >
| >connector differences, EMI and cooling considerations dictated some
| 					^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| ...maybe "reconsiderations"? I'll bet that funky fan over the DSP
| wasn't in the prototype. I do like it as a solution, though. The
| DSP alone must draw somewhere around 150 ma.

The fan on the emod side panel doesn't do any cooling itself.  What it
DOES do is cause turbulence, which moves the cooling air to the places
that it really needs to be.  Otherwise we would have just used a higher
capacity main fan.  And yes, it IS funky.  It will almost certainly
go away in a future ECO, as parts with higher margins become available,
etc.
--

	Dave Olson