Read Sun's tapes to IRIS?

Lining Sun sun at nsg.sgi.com
Wed Apr 24 04:50:39 AEST 1991

In article <BILL.91Apr21174321 at inls1.ucsd.edu>, bill at inls1.ucsd.edu (Bill Reynolds) writes:
nsg> Nntp-Posting-Host: inls1.ucsd.edu

nsg> In article <1991Apr19.210809.26153 at eng.umd.edu> naiming at eng.umd.edu (Naiming Shen) writes:
> I have two questions. first, the IRIS manual say there is two types
> of archive: cpio and tar. When I use system manager tool(on IRIS 4D/310)
> there is only tar can be used. I don't know why.
> Second, I have a tape from Sun workstation(I don't know what format that
> is) and I want to read it into IRIS, but the IRIS couldn't read it.
> Can somebody tell me what kind of format the IRIS can read? I was told
> I can change some switchs in a configuration file for tar, what is the
> file, how can I change it?
> Thanks in advance.

nsg> We had to solve the inverse problem, i.e. read sgi tapes onto a sun.
nsg> We were successful with the following command:

nsg>     dd if=/dev/nrst<tape device #> of=<path of output file> conv=swab

nsg> This will create a binary image of the first file from the tape on the
nsg> disk. Subsequent calls will put the next tapefile on the disk (be sure
nsg> to change the name of the output file or you will overwrite it). An
nsg> sgi service rep told me that he successfully used this to read Sun
nsg> tapes onto an sgi. good luck.
nsg>
nsg> --
nsg> _______________________________________________________________________
nsg> 						|  Bill Reynolds
nsg> 	  				 	|  bill at inls1.ucsd.edu

a simple method is as follows:

     tar xf /dev/tapens

that is Sun and Iris have the same byte order. /dev/tapens
is device that don't change byte order ( /dev/tapa changes
byte order).
--

$@#=(J
Lining Sun ($@B9N)G+(J)