Transfer files between PC and IRIS?

Bill Silvert silvert at cs.dal.ca
Tue Apr 9 04:28:03 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr8.163047.9040 at odin.corp.sgi.com> portuesi at tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>I own a Toshiba laptop to use for light-duty computing tasks when
>I'm away from my 4D/20.  I find the most trouble-free file transfer
>solution is Kermit for MS-DOS communicating with the Kermit
>program we supply in 4Dgifts.  Kermit for MS-DOS provides a very
>capable terminal emulator as well as file transfer.  It isn't as fast
>as Zmodem or other protocols, but at 9600 baud I find that I can
>transfer most things quickly enough.  I just start up Kermit and
>let the download proceed while I am doing my other tasks.  Kermit
>is very reliable, and best of all it's free.

I've used kermit as well and it works fine, but I've also installed
programs for x/y/zmodem on my 4D/25 and they all work fine.  And they
are all free as well!  As for speed, the files transfer perfectly well
over a dialup line at 2400 baud, where speed really does count.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
BITNET=bill%biomel%dalcs at dalac	InterNet=bill%biomel at cs.dal.ca