C compiler weirdness?

David R. Blythe drb at eecg.toronto.edu
Mon Apr 8 16:35:46 AEST 1991

I recently dug up a copy of the hoc calculator described in kernighan & pike
only to discover that the C compiler does not increment pc until after the
function call returns in the following statment:
whereas the rest of the program is assuming it is done before the function is
actually called.  Is the compiler interpretation supposed to be implementation
dependent?  I would suspect not, but then I can't believe no one else has
run into this before (On the other hand K&P is pre-ANSI).  Sorry, if this has
been hashed out before.  And for those keeping score this is IRIX 3.3.1

	david blythe
	ontario centre for large scale computation
	drb at clsc.utoronto.ca