Any rumours of 3rd party 4D/35 memory?

Ian S. Small ian at dgp.toronto.edu
Wed Apr 3 11:51:21 AEST 1991

I'm just checking on what is undoubtedly a favourite topic with Iris 4D/35
owners or would-be owners:  third party memory.  I have two 4D/25s which
are soon to be upgraded to 4D/35s, at which time they will lose some of their
memory.  I'm prepared, but not happy, to pay SGI the outrageous $3900 list
CDN/8 MB that they charge for the stuff, because we need the memory and
the performance on those machines.  SGI warned me that the memory would
change, so I certainly cannot complain about that aspect.

However, I am also considering buying some additional horsepower and am
weighing Suns vs. Irises.  The machines are reasonably competitive
until the question of memory comes up, at which point SGI prices itself
out of the market.  Availability of decently priced memory for 4D/35s
is a major factor in the purchasing decision.

Unfortunately, I have not heard of any third parties making it or
planning to make it, no doubt because of the ASIC (which must be very
expensive - think about that for a minute!) which I understand that SGI
has cleverly placed on each SIMM.  So, the bottom line question is as
follows:  does anybody know of a third party making, or considering
making, memory for 4D/35s? If so, could you provide contact
information?  An alternative question is: does anybody know if SGI is
planning on persuing legal action against third party outfits which
try?  An affirmative answer to the latter would slant answers to the
first question towards "No", and hence could be useful in making a
decision.

Thanks in advance,
ian
--
Ian S. Small (416) 978-6619       Dynamic Graphics Project
				  Computer Systems Research Institute
UUCP/CSNET:  ian at dgp.toronto.edu