Who needs 24 bit colors

DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Apr 4 08:23:57 AEST 1991

If you are dithering about colors and bits, here is an interesting piece from
Photonics Spectra, April 1991, Page 119.

Essentialy, the author, Kendal Preston, Jr. argues that we don't need more than
8 bits of color info, and by doing histogram analysis of a medical photomicro-
graph of stained cells shows that most of the histogram bins are empty, and
that dynamic data compression is possible by using a color map with various
criteria to assign a color to a color values with a high frequency.

I don't agree that we should not consider >8 bit in color
workstation design, and we should consider that his scanner may not
have the dynamic range resolution to more evenly fill the color distribution
of his scanned images.

What do you think?

| karron at nyu.edu (e-mail alias )         Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| Phone: 212 263 5210 Fax: 212 263 7190  New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue                       Digital Pager <1> (212) 397 9330    |
| New York, New York 10016               <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |