question on gl

Andrew V. Royappa avr at cs.purdue.EDU
Wed Apr 3 04:31:34 AEST 1991

>In article <1991Apr2.150125.22972 at odin.corp.sgi.com>, dave at sgi.com (dave "who can do? ratmandu!" ratcliffe) writes:
>> In article <14144 at medusa.cs.purdue.edu> avr at cs.purdue.EDU (Andrew V. Royappa) writes:
>> >The gl graphics user's guide says that the perspective & viewing
>> >transformations transforms the perspective pyramid into the box
>> >-1.0 <= x,y,z <= 1.0, to facilitate clipping. Is this in fact
>> >the case,
>> yep--this *is* the case -1.0 to 1.0 for x, y, *and* z clipping.
>>

>actually we clip against -w and +w, where w is normally 1.0 for orthographic
>projections.  For perspective transformations, w is NOT 1.0, and instead of
>transforming the pyramid into a unit box, we really do clip against the
>pyramid.
>
>--------------------
>	Gary Tarolli

Huh. Well, I'm writing some simple 3D routines using X11, and decided
to use the gl transformations printed at the back of the manual. After
applying the MVP matrix to a line segment, I clip against
-1.0<=x,y,z<=1.0. I see errors sometime even though the clip appears
to do exactly what I want it do.

So then, should I clip against the cube only when using the ortho
projections, and against the pyramid when using perspective ?

If yes, could you please give me the exact bounds of the pyramid used by
gl ?

Thank you both for your help.

					Andrew