Upgrading 25G to 35G

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Wed Apr 17 09:56:26 AEST 1991

In <1991Apr16.142508.9934 at helios.physics.utoronto.ca> chlebana at physics.utoronto.ca (Frank Chlebana) writes:

| Is it possible to upgrade JUST the processor board on a 4D25G. Or does one have
| to upgrade BOTH the processor board and the graphics board??

Yes, in fact, the 4D35 promo was a program where if you bought a 4D25 TG,
you got the right to upgrade to the 4D35 for some number of dollars.  This
was just a CPU board upgrade.

In actual fact, it is somewhat more than the CPU board, as I/O
connector differences, EMI and cooling considerations dictated some
sheetmetal changes, which meant a new electronics module chassis.  The
old graphics board is still used, it just means more work, because all
boards have to be removed to put them in the new sheetmetal.

Finally it turns out that for some systems, minor rework on the
graphics board (a different value resistor pack) was required, if my
memory serves me correctly.  Contact your sales person for more info.
--

	Dave Olson