old vs. new style drawing on the Personal IRIS

Jim Bennett bennett at sgi.com
Wed Apr 24 08:37:48 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr23.174445.21278 at odin.corp.sgi.com> kurt at cashew.asd.sgi.com (Kurt Akeley) writes:
>In article <9104222144.AA26082 at chem.chem.ucsd.edu>, sdempsey at UCSD.EDU (Steve Dempsey) writes:
>
>|> Will the performance penalty for using the "high performance" vertex drawing
>|> functions on the Personal IRIS go away with IRIX 4.0, or is this embedded
>|> in the graphics hardware of the PI?
>|> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>I know of no plans to retune the Personal Iris family for the 4.0 release.
>Such tuning would require microcode changes, so the penalty is related to
>the graphics hardware, if not "embedded" in it.
>
>Perhaps someone from the Entry Systems Division will comment?
>
>-- Kurt

You're right, I should have commented earlier, but you seemed to be
handling this OK.  Anyway, I have run many benchmarks on the PI, and
the difference between v3f and move-draw lines is not significant.

That is, the performance varies more from one run to the next of the
SAME benchmark, than it does from a v3f to a move-draw benchmark.
So I have always recommended the v calls as the way to go, on all of
our machines.

If anyone has a benchmark that shows a significant difference between
move-draw and v3f, I would like to take a look at it.  You can mail
it to me at my address below.

Jim Bennett				(bennett at sgi.com)