serial line again

DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU DanKarron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Apr 24 13:47:22 AEST 1991

Sorry, I did not mean that sgi serial did not
work well. I meant that lots of peripherals don't work
well at the upper limits of their speeds.

I did have some problems on a 70G box with serial
io, but that was cured by upgrading to a 85GT.

I find that at high speeds xon/xoff from a peripheral
may not be fast enought, and lots of peripherals don't stop
blabing on time. Lots of of patching of pins 4,5,8 and (9)20
is usually required for hardware handshake.

Anyway, once I solved the problems, they have stayed solved,
and all is wonderful. Sgi serial buffers work just fine
at high speed.

>Subject: Re:  serial line again
>News-Path: sgi!decwrl!ucbvax!UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU!"Dan Karron
>
>> I have wasted lots of time trying to
>> break into the serial world > 9600 baud.
>>
>> Lots of things don't work as advertized
>> at exotic speeds. Patience, a breakout box
>> and lots of testing is required.
>
>What exactly did not work, that SGI advertized to work, at speeds > 9600?
>
>/be

| karron at nyu.edu (e-mail alias )         Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| Phone: 212 263 5210 Fax: 212 263 7190  New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue                       Digital Pager <1> (212) 397 9330    |
| New York, New York 10016               <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |