serial line again

Henrik Klagges uh311ae at sunmanager.lrz-muenchen.de
Thu Apr 25 17:26:21 AEST 1991

Hello !
I just wonder why there is a need for hardware handshakers (ttyf's).
I have no problem running the standard 4DGifts kermit at 19200. I
couldn`t try 38k because I don't have a 2nd 38k thing.
 BTW, if I want to make SGI-SGI serial line transfer, would I have to
switch wires in the serial line ? Recently, I had some nice "Panic:
IRIX killed due to memory error at physical address ..." on one machine.
I installed an inst kernel in the swap space, but couldn't use internet
without restarting (ie, blowing) the machine. I could mount /dev/dsk*
unto the 2nd kernel - but transfering a 780 MB disc via kermit isn't
the usual choice, especially not via a PC.

Cheers ! Rick at vee.lrz-muenchen.de