Problems with VI etc.

Glenn Randers-Pehrson, TBD|WMB glennrp at BRL.MIL
Thu Apr 11 22:26:28 AEST 1991

 > From: cbas25 at vaxa.strath.ac.uk
 > Subject: Problems with VI etc.
 >
 > ex
 > Funny thing number 1:-
 > the VI editor.  Every so often, when I end an 'Insert' or 'Append' command
 > the latest insert text repeats one or more times.

	You probably typed a number before you typed "i".  Former "ex"
users do this all the time.

1000itext<esc>

will insert "text" 1000 times at the cursor position, instead of once at
line 1000.

 > Funny thing number 3:-  On my other machine, which is not connected
 > to the network, I periodically see the message:-
 >
 >                      ec0: Transmit: No carrier

Your ethernet is probably unplugged.

...Glenn R-P