Questions about the DSP on the 4D/35...

Rodian Paul rpaul at crow.UUCP
Thu Apr 25 01:53:20 AEST 1991

Hi, perhaps these questions are a little premature, but how are we going to be
able to access the DSP in our 4D/35's?

Will there be some kind of microcode compiler being released for it, or is SGI
going to supply some front-end libraries?

I'm not much up on DSP technology, but I seem to recall in a review I read
when the NeXT first came out that their DSP (same 56000 series I believe)
can also be used to manipulate video signals. Will we be able to do this with
the 35's? How about dumping our our Image-Processing kernels down etc.

Sorry if this info is allready in the brouchure, but I can't find our old
spec-sheets around the office.

Cheers.