serial line with 19600 or higher baud printing

David R. Blythe drb at eecg.toronto.edu
Mon Apr 29 15:34:28 AEST 1991

In article <9104231634.AA22038 at slic.cellbio.duke.edu> jit at slic.cellbio.duke.edu writes:

>Hi, is anyone using the printer through the serial line
>with speed higher than 9600 baud ?

I run an apple laser writer at 19200 off of a ttyd* serial line with great
success - at least I don't have to wait quite as long when dumping a megabyte
image to it.  I had to run a little PostScript program to reconfgure the
printer to 19200 - a shell script like this does the trick:

cat << EOF
%!
/Helvetica findfont 14 scalefont setfont
30 500 moveto
(The Options number for the 25-pin port is ) show
statusdict begin 25 sccbatch 10 string cvs show
30 400 moveto
(The Baud rate for the 25-pin port is ) show
10 string cvs show

25 sccbatch pop
19200 eq { 30 300 moveto (Already set!) show showpage stop } if
serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin 25 19200 0 setsccbatch
showpage
EOF

then you have to fiddle with the interface program to make sure the port has
been set to the correct speed (i.e. /usr/spool/lp/interface/PostScript) or
whatever it happens to be.
	-drb