Reading past EOT on a cartridge tape

"Bob Bruccoleri 683-6165", 609 BRUC at DINO.SQUIBB.COM
Thu Apr 11 00:17:00 AEST 1991

A while ago, someone on this list made a suggestion on how to read
past EOT. The trick was to start a write operation that would write
over the EOT, and then physically prevent the operation from completing
so that no new EOT mark would be written. There are three ways that I
can think of to stop the operation: 1) Disengage the tape. This might
not be safe for the tape or the drive. 2) Shut the power off. Probably even more
dangerous. 3) Incorporate the debugging module into the kernel, and
interrupt the system during the write. Once the EOT is overwritten,
one could scan past it.

I have never tried any of these techniques to deal with this nasty
problem, so if I were faced with it, I would first try experiments
with tapes containing unimportant information. Good luck!

|        Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D.      | Macromolecular Modeling    |
| Hat 1: Research Leader                  | Bristol-Myers Squibb       |
| Hat 2: Interim Internet Network Manager | Pharmaceutical Research    |
| Hat 3: Whatever is Necessary            | Institute                  |
|        bruc at dino.squibb.com             | P.O. Box 4000              |
|        (609) 683-6165                   | Princeton, NJ 08543 USA    |