gman troubles

Loki Jorgenson Rm421 loki at NAZGUL.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA
Tue Apr 2 13:58:39 AEST 1991

	Hey ho...

	I'm having considerable problems installing gman on a 4D/25 running
IRIS 3.3.1.  I have installed the default set-up as far as the last line
in the "make catman-db" sequence in the Makefile.  At this point, makeix
and, from within it, ixman, are giving me undecipherable problems.

	To start, the default script makeix hands "db/stop" to ixman; this
creates a problem wherein ixman can't find the "default stop files".  Moving
the stop.[D,L] files to /usr/catman and change makeix is a workaround.  Next,
the stop.[D,L] files created by cat'ing the PROTO/{connectives,manualstops}
are not the same as those provided in the tar file.  In particular, stop.L
is different according to "diff".  Replacing both stop files with the
stops in PROTO avoids numerous errors "Error storing index for <key-word>".
Finally, makeix appears to run for a while, coughs up one or two "Error
storing index" errors, says that the HashDB table is over-full and then
drops a core.

	Many people seem to have had no problems installing gman.  I have
made no modifications or customizations to the original package.  What's
going on?

	Anyone who wants details such as typescripts, just ask.

Thanks,
Loki Jorgenson              / /          \ \  node:  loki at Physics.McGill.CA
Grad, Systems Manager      / //////  \\\\\\ \ BITNET: PY29 at MCGILLA
Physics, McGill University \ \\\\\\  ////// / fax:   (514) 398-8434
Montreal Quebec CANADA      \_\          /_/  phone: (514) 398-7027