Sun-Spots Digest, v6n57

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Tue Apr 19 02:09:47 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Monday, 18 April 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 57

Today's Topics:
        Re: Can backups be done with system in multi-user mode (2)
                      Re: 8mm video-tape for backups
        Re: More information on 892 MB drives (and a big problem)
                      Memory Modules for Sun 3/60's
                    Timeshared Suns - some experiences
                      Interested in known DNI bugs.
                   3rd party SCSI hosts adaptors needed
                      Sun 3/50 clock keeps resetting
                         Sun4 Optimixer problems?
                     Longer host names in rcp/rdump?
                'cp' silently failing on NFS filesystems?
                             mail from uuxqt?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Sat, 09 Apr 88 11:26:47 EST
From:    davy at intrepid.ecn.purdue.edu (Dave Curry)
Subject: Re: Can backups be done with system in multi-user mode (1)
Reference: v6n49

>From:    montnaro at sprite.steinmetz.ge.com (Skip Montanaro)

> the problem with multi-user backups is that a directory inode might get
> deleted and then reallocated between dump passes.

I posted mods to 4.3BSD dumptraverse.c about a year ago to the net to fix
this so that you can safely dump live file systems (we do it all the time
on 16 VAXes, 4 Goulds, and about 10 Sun servers, and have been for about
2.5 years with no problems).  If there's enough interest, I can send them
to Sun-Spots too; they're short.

(and our illustrious moderator comments....)

> I suppose it would be possible to write a signal handler that could write
> unrecoverable information (such as open files, signals, etc.) out to a
> file before dumping core...

I did this once on our VAX 4.3BSD systems.  It's in the form of a library
called "chkpt" (checkpoint), which allows the user to call it and save his
program, and also catches SIGTERM and saves the program automatically.
The program is saved in executable form (0407 file, unfortunately) in the
file "chkpt.dat" with it's start point set to an environment restoration
routine.  So, the user can simply execute "chkpt.dat" to restore his
program.

When the user executes "chkpt.dat", the program reopens all its files,
seeks to the right places, resets its signal handlers, and so on, and then
picks up execution right where it left off.  Pretty much everything the
user could possibly do system-call wise is restored.  The idea was to
allow long-running programs to make themselves relatively immune to
shutdowns and system crashes.

I've never ported it to the Suns because not too many people were ever
interested in it on the VAXes.  It should be fairly simple though; you'd
need a source license (or need to know a lot about how the C library
system call interface works) and have to write about 5 lines of assembly
language to save and restore the stack pointer, frame pointer, and program
counter.

--Dave Curry
Purdue University