Sun-Spots Digest, v6n46

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Thu Apr 7 14:03:32 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Wednesday, 6 April 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 46

Today's Topics:
                 Re: Data Representation Problems and NFS
                           Sun 4 Survey RESULTS
                       How much swap space is left?
                              Sun 4 status?
                   Problems with 'mailtool'/'textedit'
                Info request for addon disks / controllers
           installing boot blocks with dd won't work any more?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
Recent backissues are stored on "titan.rice.edu".  For volume X, issue Y,
"get sun-spots/vXnY".  They are also accessible through the archive
server:  mail the word "help" to "archive-server at rice.edu".

Date:    Fri, 25 Mar 88 08:52:16 EST
From:    Nathaniel Mishkin <apollo!mishkin at eddie.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Data Representation Problems and NFS

Andy Halis writes:

    We have a set of applications that save data to files in "binary"
    form....We wish to share these files in a heterogeneous environment via
    NFS...

This is a fairly interesting problem that I think all we creators and
users of generic distributed file systems (GDFS) and lovers of ASCII
(text) files have been blissfully ignoring for too long.  Your message
just touches the tip of the iceberg.  What about reading some mongo CICS
database on an IBM mainframe.  Access it via a GDFS?  Not very likely,
unless you want to implement some large piece of the DBMS on your
workstation.

Unless we want "fscanf" on text files to be the sole way of accessing data
I think we really have to start thinking about distributed data in a new
way.  The solution is clearly to use RPC.  (I might have some opinions
about how well various RPC systems address this problem, but I won't bring
*that* up :-)  Data must be passed around in a structured way, and in
general, only the machine on which the data lives can be allowed to
interpret it at the raw byte stream level.

Think of it this way: Unix "open", "close", "read" and "write" (or the
"read a page", "write a page" operations of GDFSs) are dead.  Sure they
work sort of OK for reading some source file on your friend's machine, but
in general they're just too low-level of operations to be passing between
machines in a heterogeneous network.  Unfortunately, we're all very
comfortable with those operations.  The trick for RPC systems in the
future is going to be making it as easy to design and implement (in an
RPC-like way) operations like "my_open", "my_get_next_record",
"my_write_next_record" as it is for people today to use stdio.

                -- Nat Mishkin
                   Apollo Computer Inc.
                   ...!decvax!apollo!mishkin

[[ Object-oriented programming:  treat the database as an object and
"send" messages to it to extract the information you want.  Only the
object (and thus only the machine/s that "houses" that object) knows how
to access it.  --wnl ]]