Shutting down a Sun System with a Shell Script

Frank Wortner frank at morgan.com
Sun Dec 4 13:44:52 AEST 1988

In article <8811102135.AA09427 at rice.edu> Sun-Spots at Rice.edu writes:
)
)Is there anyway to perform the following steps in a shell script from
)crontab on a Sun 3/280s file server:

One way to do it is to make an empty file (let's call it /.do-a-dump), and
then bring the system to single user.  Root's .profile then checks for the
existence of /.do-a-dump.  If it exists, the .profile runs the desired
program.  A /etc/reboot brings everyone back to snuff.

I used to do incremental backups this way on Suns and an Alliant, so I'm
reasonably confident ;-) that it works.

--
						Frank