Dumb terminal screenlength problem

Mark Hebets natinst!radian!cutter!markh at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 12 10:13:13 AEST 1988

zeke at sunfun.eta.com (Robert K. Scott) writes:
> We have a curious problem with TELNET access to a SUN 3/280 running Sun/OS
> 3.2.    [Stuff deleted]
>                                       The problem for these users is
> strange: sometimes their session thinks that they have more than 24 lines
> per screen, almost as if it thinks that they have a large Suntools window.

We see similar problems with both dialup and Telnet users once in a while.
I usually tell them to try two things:  First, if they're running Sun's
Telnet from PC-NFS, delete the file EM.SES from the NFS directory.  The
file saves some terminal setup info from session to session, and it may do
more harm than good if the last session had problems.

Second, put the following code in the user's .login file.  It checks to
see whether the login session inherited some terminal settings and clears
them.

# This code is from the Sun Software Technical Bulletin issue 1987-8
# It checks to see if a previous process left "rows" and "columns" set,
# and clears them.

if( $TERM != "sun" ) then
	stty everything |& fgrep -s columns
	@ setscreensize != $status
	if($setscreensize) stty rows 0 columns 0
endif

--
   Mark Hebets, Software Applications Department, Radian Corp.
   PO 201088, Austin, TX  78720     (512)-454-4797